Matthew S. McKenzie
After graduating from the University of Mississippi School of Law in 2006, Matt joined the law firm of Tannehill & Carmean, PLLC in Oxford. Matt’s area of practice includes all matters relating to real estate, wills and estates, debt collection, and family law.
In November of 2013, Matt was voted one of Super Lawyer’s Rising Stars of the Mid South.
While in law school, Matt clerked for two years with Hughes & Hitt, P.A., assisting with real estate loan closings. Matt also clerked with The Scruggs Law Firm, assisting with case research and drafting memorandums for mass tort litigation. In his last year of law school, Matt clerked for Lafayette County Chancellor Edwin H. Roberts, Jr.
Matt is a native of Florence, Alabama. As the youngest of five children who all attended the University of Mississippi, Matt served as Sergeant-At-Arms of the Associated Student Body Senate. Matt also served as President of Phi Delta Theta, and was honored with the Arthur R. Priest award for being the top Phi Delta Theta member in the nation.
Matt was a member of the Intra-Fraternity Council, Lambda Sigma, Order of Omega, Mortar Board, Omicron Delta Kappa, Beta Gamma Sigma, Alpha Lambda Delta, and was also a Class Favorite his senior year at Ole Miss.
Matt is married to the former Leah Chancellor originally from Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Leah is also an Ole Miss graduate. They have two daughters, Nora Gray and Murphey Deems and one son, Chancellor Colle. They are members of Grace Bible Church.
- Mississippi, 2006
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Mississippi, 2006
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Mississippi, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 2006
- J.D., University of Mississippi, 2006
- B.A. University of Mississippi, Magna Cum Laude, 2003
Professional And Civic Involvement
- Mississippi Bar
- Mississippi Trial Lawyers Association
- Mississippi Association for Justice
- MTLA student chapter Chairman, University of Mississippi School of Law
- Lafayette County Bar Association: 2008-2009 Secretary, 2009-2010 Treasurer, 2010-2011 Vice-President, 2011-2012 President.
- Committee Member – Junior Leadership Lafayette
- Graduate – Leadership Lafayette
- Vice President – LOU Ole Miss Alumni Association
- United Way Board of Directors
- Super Lawyers Rising Star 2013